Saturday, December 16, 2006

Report Dayٍ

I just got back from school, and I took a horrible chemistry test which I answered with only 2 and a half hours of sleep, yep, that was baaad (Triple "A" intended!) .

But that just falls behind when it comes to the mid-term school report I recieved, the grades weren't as bad as the typos!
I got 0 on homework grades for chemistry, and 0 for test grade for physics!, that almost killed me, and when I went to the teachers they actually gave me full marks, it's just dreadful typos, also for computer I got 16.5 out of 20, and for geology I got 10.5 out of 20, that's not acceptable!, tomorrow I will discuss it with the teachers, I'm pretty sure they're typos also.

If all typos are fixed, I predict I will get a grade of 97.5% or so, which is good, but I need to aim for more than 99%, or so thinks my parents.

So I showed my report to me parents, my father almost pulled his gun on me (joke, no gun!) and he turned to be a red Hulk, and when I explained the typos at a speed of 4 words per second, my father became less red, and his size returned to normal (That was all jokes, my father just smiled and looked at me, which is when I explained the typos).
But did I get praise for getting only 7 words wrong of each 200 word I write?, did I get any praise for knowing and understanding 97.5% of all subjects? NO, because that's bad!, that's just bad, I should get 100% he says, he said life is hard, you either fail or succeed, and I'm not doing any good now, he says the least mark I want to see is 99%, I -obviously- was burning with bitterness on the inside, I wished I could just disappear and fly to the sky and roam the space, 97.5% is an unrealisticly good mark!, if a doctor has a success rate of 97.5%, s/he'd be legendary, but 97.5% is unrealstic, 97.5% is an excellent grade! so I couldn't just go to my room with that being the last thing said, so I sat down to lunch with my father, mother, and 3 brothers (I'm the oldest one), and the following conversation took place:

My father: This is not bad, but if you want to be the best you should get atleast 99%, and I know that you are capable of that!.
Me: I know I CAN do better, and I will do everything I'm capable of, but if I get 97% at the end, I won't kill myself over it.
Father: But you should, 97% isn't that good, and you only study one hour a day, study 2 hours and you'll atleast get 99%, I know you're smart.
Me: I will try my best, but all I'm saying is I won't kill myself over it.
Mother: But then you won't be afraid of failure.
Me: Aiming to succeed is better than aiming not to fail, I want to be motivated.
Father: I give you money, and I buy you games, and I let you go wherever you want, and we trust you completely, isn't that motivation? (That didn't sound as bad as it sounds now, he was just referring to the things I have that most other kids have, and not counting his favors on me.)
Right now I felt depressed, when I said to him I want to be motivated, it was an indirect way of asking him to praise me for my grade, I felt that my extra high ultimate 97% is so under-apreciated.
Me: What? Isn't 97% any good?, why do you guys look like someone just died??
My mother looked at me and smiled.
Father: This grade isn't bad, actually it's great, you're one of the top 5% of students in Saudia Arabia
Just then.. just at that moment.. a cool breeze went through my body and put off the fire that was in my chest.. and as I held the tears in my eyes, I smiled.
My father continues smiling: but your potential is too much for you to neglect, aim higher ok?..

And I left there in a better state than the one I came with.

Family is such a great thing.

1 comment:

Mohd said...

Well , It's seems your father is understanding , But he's right. if you pushed your self to atleast 80% of your ability you would get 99%.